Thursday, June 21, 2007

Water aerobics dilemma.

This morning I got up and went to a water aerobics class at the YMCA...so as I walk into the building, I see about 17 of my students who are there for summer camp. Nice. After putting my stuff in the locker room, I walk out to the pool [in my suit and a tshirt] and see a parent [of a couple of my students...oh and the wife of a school board member] sitting there. And the pool is full of kids. Awesome. Apparently the kids are supposed to be outside, but lucky me, the paint in the pool is peeling, and so the kids had to come inside today. [Really I don't think a couple of paint chips is going to harm anyone. That much.] So after a long time of standing there, talking to the aforementioned parent, slowly recognizing more and more students in the pool, and resisting the strong urge to run away screaming...the kids get bumped over so there is room for our class. Sweet.

So the class goes well, [though I am 40 years younger than everyone else in it], and I notice that some of the students I recognized may be recognizing me now, so I head back into the locker room.

Now for the biggest dilemma.

How can I possibly shower [and undress] and dress myself in a locker room swarming with precious little kiddies that I teach??? [And God forbid a boy comes through that locker room, at that point I would have to run away screaming, and probably quit my job as well.]

I decided to rinse of quickly in the showers, wrap myself in my [thankfully] huge beach towel, and then get dressed in the toilet stall. Except the toilet stall is SO tiny, that I barely manage to get my 'intimates' in place, and there is just no way I can manage my pants and shirt. So I have to walk through the locker room with my towel around me again but now with bra straps showing...and I manage to throw on my clothes at warp speed [and I am still praying that my little 1st grader didn't see anything of me she wouldn't normally see at school]...and I run out of the locker room and through the lobby and to my car...where I have a loud, hysterical dialogue about the experience...with myself.

All this for some quality physical fitness. Now the question is...do I dare go back again Tuesday morning?

3 comments:

alexgirl said...

ohmygod, that is just about the funniest story ever! hah. And I love the title of the post. Somehow the term "water aerobics" is funny to me. No disrespect, I love water aerobics, it just sounds funny.
And I lurve your Modest Mouse concert tix pic! That is too funny. You are going to have such an awesome time. Did I already mention that I saw them in Central Park when their last album came out? They were awesome, except Camper Van Beethoven opened for them, and I kinda can't stand that band.

Whoa. sorry for the novella!!
have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

I quit my gym for this very reason... my students started lifegarding and wanting to chat while i stood in my bathing suit.. and then, of course the need to change in a stall... etc.

the things they didn't warn you about in college.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.