- Young adult fiction is my favorite thing to read. I'm so happy that some of my students get just as excited about it as I do!
- I love to watch the same TV shows as my students. Examples include Gossip Girl, The Hills, MADE, Taking the Stage, and more than I am too embarrassed to admit. That was bad enough.
- I can remember so clearly what high school was like, and therefore understand many of the challenges, pressures, and exciting moments that my students face. And I often get as excited or upset about them. This could relate to the bullet above...or to talking endlessly about boys and prom dresses.
- I hate to admit this, and it's not nearly as true as it was a few years ago, but sometimes I share the fashion sensibilities of a 17-year-old. Let's just say a very hip and sophisticated 17-year-old. I hope.
- I have the same tendency to rebel against authority that many of my students do!
- I want to be accepted.
- Sometimes I just want to 'fit in' and be included.
- I too often worry about what others think! Including when getting dressed each morning. ;)
- I drive a 'beater.' [Although sadly many of my students drive nicer cars than me!]
Friday, May 08, 2009
I have decided that I'm 17-at-heart. This is why I get along so well with my high school students, why they confide in me, tell me they want to hang out with me this summer, and want to be my friend on facebook the minute after they graduate. Here are some reasons why I've come to the conclusion that I should take 12 years off my age: